Adding Arduino libraries manually

I am writing some code for a Teensy (which is a much higher performance alternative to e.g. an Arduino Nano) and found a non-standard library that I would like to use. This post is primarily a short reminder to myself  on how to install an Arduino library manually. There are lengthier and more complete instructions here.

Basically, just put the library code in a suitably (but quite arbitrarily) named folder under Documents\Arduino\libraries, which in my case is C:\Users\Per\Documents\Arduino\libraries.

The folder name should probably not have spaces, but otherwise the name does not seem to matter. The Arduino/Teensyduino environment searches these catalogs for files included with #include <MyLibrary.h>  syntax (less-than, greater-than rather than citation marks around the file name) and automagically compiles other files in the same directory as necessary.

Hur man uppdaterar batteristatus i en SI-enhet efter batteribyte

This post is in Swedish, but the same information is available in English on the last page of this PDF from Sportident.

Om man har bytt batteri i en Sportident-enhet så är det en bra idé att tala om för enheten att det nu sitter ett nytt batteri med full kapacitet i enheten så att den kan försöka hålla reda på hur mycket kapacitet som återstår. Som bekant så använder man programmet  SPORTident Config+ för att programmera SI-enheter, ställa tiden, uppdatera firmware mm, men tyvärr så kan man i vanliga fall inte komma åt funktionen för att ställa om batteristatusen. Kanske anser Sportident att funktionen är för riskabel att ha allmänt tillgänglig, men det går ganska lätt att slå på den. Så här gör man:

Högerklicka på genvägen till SPORTident Confg+ på skrivbordet. Då dyker en meny upp som ser ut något i stil med detta:

Menyn som kommer upp vid högerklick på Config+ikonen.

Välj alternativet “Egenskaper” längst ned. Nu dyker följande fönster upp:

Dialogrutan med egenskaper för genvägen.

Tricket man behöver göra är att lägga till texten −−service sist i rutan “Mål:”. Enklast görs detta på följande vis:

  • Tryck på pil höger så att den blåmarkerade texten avmarkeras och markören hamnar sist i rutan.
  • Tryck mellanslag.
  • Skriv in −−service (dvs två minustecken och sedan ordet service utan några mellanslag). Så här bör det se ut:

Flaggan −−service har lagts till.

  • Tryck OK för att stänga rutan.

Om man nu startar SPORTident Config+ från den ändrade genvägen så finns plötsligt den nya menyn Service högst upp:

Service-menyn har dykt upp.

Om man väljer alternativet “New device battery” så får man upp följande:

Fönstret för att uppdatera batteristatus

På en BSF8 med vanligt litet batteri (1/2 AA) så är det normalt 1000 mAh man ska mata in och om man precis satt in ett nytt batteri så ska såklart Usage stå på 0%. På en BSM7 (med sladd) med batteri i AA-storlek är det normalt 2000 mAh i batterikapacitet.

Mer information om andra saker att tänka på när man byter batteri finns i följande dokument från SportIdent:

Battery exchange in BSF7 and BSF8 stations

Improving the Depanelization Process

In the previous post, I wrote about using my CNC mill to depanelize PCBs. One issue  I had was that the boards were not cleanly separated from the panel since they moved away as soon as the mill broke through the tab connecting them to the panel, leaving a pointy feature.

I tried to improve this by using double sided tape to keep the boards in place:

Double sided tape on the CNC bed to keep the sacrificial board firmly in place.

The sacrificial (MDF?) board on top of the tape. The glossy surface will make it easier to remove the tape.

The PCB panel has been secured in place. There is double sided tape between it and the board. Two clamps aid in the workholding.

Milling in progress. Some boards still get loose, but some stay in place.

Separation of the upper three rows of boards complete.

The mill is not big enough to reach all boards in one setup and I tried to reuse the tape when separating the lower two rows. Due to the dust from the initial milling getting into the adhesive, this was not a great idea. Using new tape would have been better.

The sacrificial board after the panel and the top side tape have been removed. The board can be reused. The pattern created by the mill can be used to position the next panel. Even better would be to have guide holes in the PCB panel and run a mill program to create corresponding holes in the sacrificial board to aid in precise positioning of the panel.

In summary, using double sided tape to aid in the workholding is a promising idea. With the small board in this panel it was however only semi-successful since the adhesive has very little area to attach to and the PCB surface is a bit uneven due to the trace pattern. On larger boards it will probably work better.